This soup is one of my all-time favorites!
1 Pound Bag (16 Ounces) of Yellow Split Peas
6-8 Cups of Water
1 Large Idaho Potato
1 Yellow Onion
½ Yellow Pepper
½ Red Pepper
2-3 Garlic Cloves
½ Bag of Baby Carrots or 2 Carrot Stalks
2 Stalks of Celery
Lowry’s Seasoning Salt or Any Seasoning Salt of Choice
Grace Cock or Chicken Soup Mix *Does not contain animal products*
4 Pimento balls
1 stalk of Thyme (dried or fresh)
- Open 1 package of yellow split peas and pour in cooking bowl and rinse 3 times.
- Drain off any excess water after the third rinse and pour peas into crock pot.
- Pour 6-8 cups of water into crock-pot with the peas. The amount of water required depends on the size of your crock-pot.
- Dice onion, peppers, potato, and celery and put them into the pot.
- Peel and crush garlic and place in the pot.
- Rinse baby carrots with water and place in the pot. If using whole carrots, rinse, cut up big and place in the pot.
- Turn on crock-pot to LOW if you would like the soup to cook at slower extended time and HIGH if you would like the soup to took in about 4 hours (The point of the crock pot is to set it up and go).
- Soup should take anywhere between 4-8 hours to cook depending on the crock pot setting chosen. Keep an eye on it towards the end of the cooking time.
- Once the peas have mashed out and the other ingredients cooked, add all the dry seasonings and stir: Seasoning salt, Cock or Chicken soup seasoning, Onion powder, Garlic powder, Pimentos, and Thyme. More hot water can be added to the soup at this time for a thinner consistency.
- Let it cook for about another half hour.
- Taste and add any additional seasoning that is required.